Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Oct 02 - A job offer for $50 per week**

Monday, October 2, 1972 - Page 276
LOCATION: Newport Beach & Anaheim, California

11:00 PM
(THIS IS A REMOTE ENTRY, WRITTEN AT 11:00 P.M., 10-2-72, IN ROOM 113 AT THE IVAN MOTEL)
THE IVANHOE, 434 W. Katella, Anaheim, California 92802 -- 57 Air Conditioned Rooms, Bathtub & Shower, Heated Swimming Pool, Color TV, Room Telephone
UPDATE FROM THE FUTURE (Wednesday, October 2, 2013): I just checked this address on Google Maps and it shows an empty lot in this image from February 2011. You can see the old driveway for the Ivanhoe motel of 40 years ago.
Got to sleep by 3:00 A.M. -- Woke up at 10:00 A.M. I made the rest of the hamburger, cleaned the bathroom (complying to Mom's request), cleaned my room, got all the National Geographics organized & put away (the set is complete from Jan. 1962 to now -- almost a decade's worth, plus about a dozen from miscellaneous years of the 30's, 40's, 50's, & 60's. Dat's a lodda mags).

Mike called in the afternoon & offered me a maintenance job at the Ivanhoe (approx. $50 a week). Only problem, of course, is transportation. Mom was going to have her bridge gang tonight, so instead of going off to spend the night in the Bay as I had intended, she drove me here, to the motel, since she wouldn't be able to get me here in the morning. I was supposed to be here before noon Tuesday. So I'm sleeping in, just for one night. The owner has a car he wants to sell for $400 and that'll pro'ly be my transportation.

The last scabs from my burnt fingertips came off (pulled off the one from my index finger yesterday -- got the one on my thumb tonight) -- now the scars just have to heal (okay, I know that's not too interesting, but I was just noting how long it takes the epidermis to recover from first degree burns in case I need the info for a story). [This refers to blisters I stupidly inflicted on myself when I showed some friends the "match trick" from a classic movie. See August 24 - Not minding Lawrence of Arabia]

I've got a color T.V. in this room and I watched it while taking a bath. Watched a recent Clint Eastwood movie, "The Beguiled," from 9 to 11:00. Twas a good one. Had a Carl's Jr hamburger that Mike bought me for dinner. I'll have to get to work tomorrow at 9:30. To be continued.
Original Poster: The Beguiled, 1971
(wikipedia info)
TOMORROW: An exhausting 1st day of work

No comments: