Saturday, November 23, 2013

Nov 23 - Thanksgiving - Part 1***

Thursday, November 23, 1972 - Page 328
LOCATION: Newport Beach

TURKEY DAY

11:30 AM
The new book I've been reading on the bus and waiting for the bus these past few days is "The Age of the Dinosaurs," by Björn Kurtén, one of the books Mark got for me. Haven't seen him since. I'm now on page 74 -- occasionally I skip a page or two of innocuous things I already know too well. The busses of the OCTD are taking the day off, and Mike doesn't need me today, and it's Thanksgiving, so I'm not going to work. I woke up at about 10:30. I've been working on T.F. notes.

[Side note] THE DRAWING ON THIS PAGE IS A LARRY BROCKWAY PRODUCTION [Dad's friend Larry was an excellent artist and this Santa Claus sketch demonstrates his talent]
(5:00 PM 11/24/1972)
It being Thanksgiving, we were beset by relatives and acquaintances. First came Dad and he answered my question about what caliber bullet you'd need to shoot out the ear of a sauropod. Larry Brockway ("Brock") came shortly thereafter. Then Chunk came with Russ Nichols, a paddler who was in the '71 Canoe & Kayaking World Championships, and this year's Olympics. Larry & I had a steak dinner (the turkey was still cooking, & Larry had to leave at 3:30 to man the 'Hot line,' a phone service, sort of).
A shot of our trailer in 1973. At the left is my Imperial and Chuck, and I am wearing my South Dakota hat. 
Russ had brought a projector, & audio visual set up for a film he made about the 71 Championships (his brother wrote & performed the music) -- so we saw that. It was done very professionally, and was about 15 minutes. Before it started, Winnie dropped by -- so there was her Barracuda, Russ's van with two canoes on top, Larry's convertible VW, and Dad's Audi parked all over, and with 7 people in the trailer 'twas a bit crowded. After the movie Russ & Chunk & Winnie left -- they had an appointment for dinner at the Beechers'. The Beechers are parents of a friend Chunk knew well who died in a bike accident a year or two ago with Mike McEvers, and Murray & Bruce Englar.

Anyway, Larry had to leave soon after that for the Hot Line. So I occupied Dad for a few hours with all the new books I got, and in a few hours Chunk returned. I showed him my fossils & paleolithic tools -- I had forgotten he would be interested in them because of his preoccupation with Indians (He's proud of the few drops of Cherokee & Blackfeet he's got in him). [End-of-page: Thanksgiving Day events are continued in the next entry]

TOMORROW: Thanksgiving - Part 2

No comments: