Monday, October 28, 2013

Oct 28 - Artwork**

Saturday, October 28, 1972 - Page 302
LOCATION: Newport Beach
(12:21:46 AM 11/1/1972 Wednesday)
Didn't do much atoll. Spent my time reading the Magus and working on T.F., but mostly wasted hours drawing the slightly lewd pictures hereto attached. It was inspired by one of Mark's textbooks, "Man," which, after several pages of photos showing male & female apes, showed a very frank couple of pictures of a good-looking coed and a varsity football player, full-frontal wearing just as much as the apes. What the hell, we all know what's there, right?
These pencil drawings were cut out with an X-Acto knife, then I dove into my photo file and came up with the background, then I got the foreground. At any point any of it could have gone any way -- in the semi-stylization I was struck by what could be done by just a few lines, and I had to refrain from some ideas, and contemplate others. Same with the photo background due to my wide range of possibilities. But I'd gone far enough... 

Anyway, I drew this from a painting on an ad for a Vampirella poster (on the back of a Vampirella magazine of course). She looks better without her costume, so I divested her bod of the usual adornments.
Combined with the above artwork, included with this nude Vampi, it seems like the two illustrations are one great symbolic message. Could be. At any rate, they represent what might be my artistic limits at age 18 1/2.

I thought it was a fairly well drawn work of semi-erotica but alas, after more consideration the attempt doesn't seem worthwhile. It's lacking something I think. Clothes possibly. Mayhaps something must be left to the imagination cause without it, things tend to be a bit boring.
Advertisement for a life-sized Vampirella
poster that served as my inspiration
TOMORROW: Gusts exceeding 45 miles per hour

No comments: