Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jul 09 - Geri from Europe trip visits*

Sunday, July 9, 1972 - Page 191
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

5:00 PM
This being a Sunday full of Nuns, there were more rituals than usual. I got up at 8:45 and everybody went to mass at nine. I din't. I played chess with Mike Mills (presently I am one game ahead of him) during which we attended a prayer meeting, and Geri Langer showed up while it was in progress, along with a few other people. I had breakfast today for the second time since I've been here -- it was at 9:30 so I couldn't miss it.

I played Penny some more games (won 2 or 3, lost one). Saw Geri's pictures that she took when we were in Europe. A couple loads of tourists came today. As usual, today is warm and fairly clear. Finally, I've caught up again. Swell --
Photo of the main building with Bethlehem star
This beautiful star on the main building's
chimney served as The Shrine of the Nativity's logo
(12:00 PM 7/10/1972)
Sunday was a very lazy day -- I spent my time at the old entrance of the cave overlooking Horseshoe Bend and read "World's Best SciFi, 1971" (The Thing In The Stone). Penny & Geri left with Geri's gang, and we all had an affectionate farewell -- they'll be back soon. Very soon, I hope. Geri let me have whatever small prints of her Europe photos I want. They are on pages 112 & 113; 120 & 121.

Played some more chess, and played poker until midnight. I won extremely well, beating everyone. Jeff left early Monday morn. Sunday nite was extremely windy and the skies were clear and silent, but on the western horizon I could see the electric flashes of a lightning storm, sometimes illuminating the sky for several seconds.
Photo of nun at sewing machine
Sister Somebody sewing something
TOMORROW: Geri's photos

No comments: