Monday, July 15, 2013

Jul 15 - Laying 50 more feet of sidewalk

Saturday, July 15, 1972 - Page 197
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

1:30 PM
Me & Greg are laying cement, Tom's finishing, Mike's mixing, Clint and John are hauling. Bruce & Tim are working on the retention wall. Two families appeared today, one is the Boursracks (or some such unpronounceable name). The other is the McKeevers -- seven people in all, plus one photographer (McKeever is a politician). We've been working fairly slow today.
Photo of sidewalk job
Laying sidewalk for $7 per week
(7:30 PM 7/16/1972)
I was wrong about the McKeevers, the people I saw were mere tourists. They didn't show up yet. Late that day the Gorsatch's appeared (that's as close as I can get to their name). So did a Philippine Los Angeles Priest by the name of Father Henry. We completed about 50 feet of side walk. I took a bath tho the water crisis continued -- there's a leak somewhere and they haven't found it.

We played poker again -- as usual, everyone was forced out by a lack of chips except me and Greg. It always ends up that way -- just me and Greg. Greg is a better poker player, but again I beat him, the same way I beat him last time -- matching pots (my pot is usually one percent of the chips -- he has the rest), and dealing five cards up -- best 2 out of 3 hands wins. I win constantly, despite the odds against it. We finally finished playing at 1:15 A.M. Somehow the screw came out of my glasses, so I couldn't wear them. Interesting, huh?

(7:40 PM 7/16/1972)
I finished "The Little Prince," and am now on page 96 in "I'm OK, You're OK."

Cover of The Little Prince

TOMORROW: Swimming Holes in the Wilderness

No comments: