Friday, July 19, 2013

Jul 19 - Trip to Chicago begins*

Tuesday, July 19, 1972 - Page 201
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota and Sioux City, Iowa

(7:30 PM 7/29/1972)
(I haven't been bothering to write in this book -- instead I just wrote notes on any pages I had handy, [example attached] making this task easier and less obvious -- here are those notes, put down in this book -- they are obviously very sketchy)
Example of first-draft note pages
The 19th was McGovern's birthday. It also was the day me and the Latkas left. Bruce woke me up at 6:00 A.M. as I asked, and he wandered off around 6:45 to read the Bible, and I walked out to the woods to contemplate. I walked up to the house at 7:30 for breakfast. M.R. [Mrs. Rogers] was stunned to see me up so early -- so was everyone else.
Photo of Sue Latka in front of main lodge building
Sue Latka in front of main building
Photo of Sue Latka and Grady Lyda crossing the washed-out road
Sue and Grady crossing washed-out road
The Latkas and I left at about 9:00 A.M. We all said goodby to everybody quite extensively. We drove till about 7:00, usually with Me, Ken & Sue in back. We slept some. -- We stopped in Sioux City, Iowa at a Western Motel. We three kids went swimming, and afterwards Ken & I went to a nearby Pizza Parlor. The others ate at a restaurant near the motel. There were lots of fireflies there by the pool -- it was the first time I'd seen them.

Ken and I played tether ball by the pool. I took a shower, and by 11:00 we all were in bed -- Sue on the cot, Mr. & Mrs. were in the center, and Me & Ken in the second double bed. Early in the night I moved to the floor to sleep to avoid Ken's snoring and moving.

TOMORROW: Arriving in Chicagoland

No comments: