Sunday, July 7, 2013

Jul 07 - Darlene, horses & an unfortunate allergy

Friday, July 7, 1972 - Page 189
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

(4:30 pm 7/9/1972)
Can't remember much of today -- Mom called and Jain [mom's sister] was still there so I talked to her, Willie [Jain's son: my cousin] was still there so I talked to him (he's fifteen now -- gee, last time I saw him, he was knee high to a coke bottle). We layed the side walk from the steps of the retreat house to the drive way -- we didn't lay it all, but finished what needed it. I primarily layed the cement in the forms, and finished the surface.
Mike mixing cement for sidewalks
The days have been hot -- Friday was hot too, so Tom Shearing, Greg and Jeff went swimming at Lion's Head (that's the place we swam at before). Clouds moved in fairly quickly, followed by lightning, thunder and rain which lasted at most fifteen minutes. Then the skies cleared again. Bruce, Clint and John worked down at the Sheckle's place, cleaning up the flood damage. They rode back on horses, with Darlene Sheckle, a cute 22-year-old gal who stayed for supper.

Fr. Gil forbade any further riding of horses because last time he permitted it, it cost him a couple of vet bills. But we had to ride the horses back, so I rode bareback with Darlene, Tom H. rode with Clint, and Bruce & John rode single -- two colts followed along. Darlene is a friendly person I'd like to know better -- but there's a problem -- for the first time in my life I was allergic to horses. When we left their place to drive back in the rain I became very sick, sneezing and wheezing. I slept in the retreat house so I'd not disturb anyone. Mike Mills (the National Guardian) came back late Friday nite.

TOMORROWJonathan Livingston Seagull

No comments: