Thursday, July 11, 2013

Jul 11 - Flood-Repair meeting in Deadwood

Tuesday, July 11, 1972 - Page 193
LOCATION: Bethlehem & Deadwood, South Dakota
 

11:30 AM
I'VE GOT NOTHIN' TO DO TODAY BUT SMILE
That's what Jim said this morning, and I think it sums up a mood. He probably got it from a song.
Today is a Catholic Holiday (The Feast of St. Benedict), so we have no work -- just like last Tuesday. I got paid my seven dollars again. Practically everyone's gone -- Tom & Tom, John, Clint, Jim (they went in the van to wander around the Black Hills), Mike & Greg (they went hitchhiking into town), all are away for this one-day vacation. Only Bruce, Me, and Brad are left.

I'm sitting here at the old entrance to the cave, out in the sun and air. Bruce is in the Abbott's Cabin looking through Tom's photo albums. I just finished reading "The Thing In The Stone" by Simak. Now I think I'll read Bruce's book "I'm Okay, You're Okay." Or I'll just lie here and do NOTHIN' BUT SMILE.
Photo of Bruce King
Bruce King hard at work for $1 per day
(4:30 PM 7/12/1972)
It is now tomorrow, 4:41 P.M.
July 11, I found the copy [that means "text"] to the pamphlet I was to illustrate, so I got familiar with it. Gil told me NOT to get familiar with Darlene Sheckle. Hmm. And at 6:30 P.M. Me, Bruce, and Brad and Gordy (a visitor from Minnesota), drove to the meeting in Deadwood for the repair of damaged roads. Father Gil was there with His Honor The Mayor of Sturgis. It was an interesting meeting -- there were video tapes we watched on monitors, slides, maps, arguments, etc. Brad, Bruce and I stood around and analyzed everybody. The skies were full of lightning everywhere, but there was practically no rain. We drove in Gordy's brother's 1949 Mercury. Good grief. Tha's all.
Here we are...
TOMORROW: I'm OK, You're OK

No comments: