Thursday, July 4, 2013

Jul 04 - Independence Day stock car races

Tuesday, July 4, 1972 - Page 186
LOCATION: Bethlehem & Rapid City, South Dakota

12:30
[continued from previous page]... and I loaned John $20. It's a smart thing to have people indebted to you.* [Side note: *I take that back. It is now Aug 18, and neither loans have been paid back] We played some more poker, but John did most of the winning. I struggled with this journal Mon. evening, but the interruptions were numerous and I won't go into them. I got to sleep somewhere after midnight.

Today, besides being the 4th, is the 15th anniversary of this establishment, and Gil has been here all that time. I woke up at 10:00, missing mass & breakfast, and I washed my hair and face while talking to Mike Y., who also awoke late. He & Mike N.G., and Tim are returning to Nebraska today. Bye guys. There goes my chess competition. Today will go on -- to be continued (12:46 P.M.)
Picture of notes regarding flight to South Dakota
Notes that show loaned money
that was never repaid
(8:30 AM 7/5/1972)
The guys from Kansas City left too, leaving a hitchhiker here for a while (that's Clint). I got paid $7 -- I get that every week -- gee, how about that. Bruce, John, Brad, Jeff, Clint, Greg, and I went into town to day, stopped at Becker's to see Tom (he's working there temporarily) then we went on to the stock car races at 6:30 P.M. They lasted till around 11:30 P.M., fireworks display included (we were sposed to pick up Tom at 11:00) -- the races were good -- one car ran into the wall, smashing the front, and in a modified race, two cars crashed head on, another was put out of commission, and one more went over the side, off the track. Oddly enough, no one was seriously injured. We fought traffic for a long time to get out, went to Becker's for Tom, and walked across the street to eat (I paid -- It was the same place Matt & I'd eaten in Jan.). Drove up Beth road, barely got through the creek, tore a hole in gas tank, but made it a quarter mile from the cave before it stopped. Walked home.
Photo of John inside cabin
John (never paid me back)
TOMORROWThe Wrath of Father Gilbert

No comments: