Friday, November 8, 2013

Nov 08 - Phonebooks: Out with the old, in with the new

Wednesday, November 8, 1972 - Page 313
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim

On page 510 in The Magus as of now (9:31:21)

9:00 PM
I got up with the alarm at 5:00 A.M. I let it go off again at 5:30 and turned the radio to Lohman & Barkley. They kept me awake so I managed to get up, get dressed, and get out for the 7:00 A.M. bus, getting to work about 8:45. I vacuumed the pool and dropped the little transistor AM/UHF Gradio in the shallow end while listening to L&B. The device died from drowning, I'm sorry to say -- neither resuscitation nor drying in the sun brought it back -- now, no matter where you tune it, only KFI comes in, very faintly -- I did some room painting, using the rest of the paint. New phone books came, white and yellow pages, and Mike & I had a lot of fun throwing out the old ones, and putting in the new, until I dropped a phonebook on his head. That sort of put a damper on things.

He put up the chalk board in the Maintenance room for messages, and wrote "PLEASE KEEP CLEAN", or neat, or something like that. To supplement the declaration, I added the following note: "BEFORE ENTERING, STERILIZE HANDS AND REMOVE SHOES. BEFORE LEAVING, ERADICATE HARMFUL MICROORGANISMS BY ACTIVATING THE NUCLEAR DESTRUCT MECHANISM AT LEFT. BUT FIRST WRITE YOUR LAST WILL & TESTAMENT AND LEAVE IT IN THE LOBBY. THEY WILL MAKE THE PROPER ARRANGEMENTS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION. VERISIMILITUDINOUSLY,  THE MANAGEMENT." -- That was all. I can't stand a blank chalk board. ---

Something's come up. I'll be going to New York in 4 or 5 months, thence to Europe. Too bad this book will be over before I get there. I'm not gonna write another one -- this is a real pain. Chunk & Joe paddled tonight, so Chunk stayed for dinner. I got home at 6:30. That's it. ---

TOMORROW: Missed the homeward bus again

No comments: