Thursday, November 21, 2013

Nov 21 - Perils of hypothermia**

Tuesday, November 21, 1972 - Page 326
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim
The Ivanhoe's swimming pool
11:00 PM
Left at 7:00 -- back to the early riser routine. There wasn't much work to be done on the next three rooms -- I'm just about finished. Just have to stain the doors. A big group's coming in Thursday, and the weather's been good, so the pool has to be ready for their use. But the heater isn't heating and the recent rains washed alot of gravel into the pool from the roofs. And the gravel just won't vacuum up normally. So great heroic me, manned with a face mask, ventured into the pool's depths. Any colder and the water would've been ice. It was a clear and beauteous day but the air temperature was only around 70°.

For a half hour I vacuumed up gravel (without the attachment the hose was able to suck it up), from the shallow end, and the ear-busting deep end. It was slow work, having to come up for air that often -- every 22 seconds or so. I know the water in S.D. [South Dakota] I dipped in, and the Kern River water I dunked in must've been colder but it's hard to believe. When I got out it felt like my body had fallen asleep. I was so numb I could barely walk, and when I did it was paraplegically. I could barely talk too.

So I took my lunch break ('twas about 2:00) and went up to one of the rooms I was working on that had a good heater and tried to warm up. It was more than a half hour before I warmed up -- till then I felt like I was packed in ice. Cancerians are susceptible to chills and I was living up to the theory. I stayed under blankets for an hour, warming them with my breath. I barely survived, but nobody but me noticed how close I was to passing out. I've been cold before, but that was the first time I've ever felt how agonizing it could be, and how it's possible to die from it.

Anyway, I quit early at Mike's suggestion, leaving at 3:30, just when Angela got there. I got home at 6:00. Watched "Brian's Song," an award winning tear jerker about a football player who died from cancer, and then the last hour of "West Side Story." Two movies like that, one after another, can be harmful to your health.
TV Guide ad for 1971 ABC Movie of the Week

1961 Theatrical Poster
TOMORROW: 9th anniversary of Kennedy's murder

No comments: