Monday, March 18, 2013

Mar 18 - A Highway Patrol encounter**

Saturday, March 18, 1972 - Page 78
LOCATION: Newport Beach & Tustin, California

9:00 PM
Woke up at around 1:00 P.M. Chunk came by at 7:47 A.M. to get the rest of his money for his weekend jaunt to Kern. Mom ambitiously began cleaning up Dad's room for occupancy. He came by at around 2:00 to take some more stuff to his apartment. THE GRUNYAN ARE RUNNING [correction: grunion] -- the sex crazed little beasts are invading the beaches to spawn. Yes, folks, it's that time of the year again. That little bit of information is totally irrelevant, but I'm listening to the KMPC news now (9:04 P.M.) and the guy mentioned it.

I spent most of today working on my photo collection -- I'm finally (night & early morning clouds, high Sunday & Monday 72°, and there will be light smog -- and now, here's Dean Weber "You always knew, by the things that you do, you can lead me on knowing I will fol-low -- so I can see... Your love is alive, yes your love is alive in my heart...") I just turned off the Gradio. As I was saying, I'm sorting out my pictures into their respective categories. Mom & I went to the Pickwick Bookstore in Southcoast Plaza to get the "Writer's Market '72." I am now reading it. Time, 9:10, 20 secs. End.

11:49 PM
So there I was, reading "W.M.'72," minding my own business, and in drop Matt Gold and Grieg. They had been walking around alot, were tired, and needed a stop -- and there was Eye Sore Park. He got here at about a quarter to ten, Mom, Me, He and Him talked for a while (Shawna called while he was here. Hmmm...), and at 10:30 he said he'd have to call someone to pick him up. I offered to drive him, so Grieg, me 'n' matt drove to Tustin where he lives. I saw his house (his dad wasn't home, and there were a coupla sleeping kids and an absent baby sitter with a T.V. set on). I left shortly after seeing his room (it's big), he was very tired -- could barely keep awake -- his phone number's 835-6359.

I got lost coming back, of course. Somehow I got on the Santa Ana Freeway, and finally got turned around. Then bright red and white lights greeted me in the rearview mirror, and I pulled over for the highway patrol -- I'd been weaving apparently (at times I have a tendency to over correct) and they suspected me of being inebriated. I wasn't fortunately, and they let me go after testing my eyes ("Look at my cap... now look at the flashlight without turning your head. Follow my finger." -- The other guy smiled and said "Nope." That was the diagnosis).

No comments: