Saturday, March 2, 2013

Mar 02 - Pioneer 10 gets up there at last**

Thursday, March 2, 1972 - Page 62
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

(12:14 AM 3/3/1972)
Well, they finally launched the Pioneer X today. It took them a while. I got up at 9:30 when the cat brought me a lizard -- to her dismay I threw it out the window. Liz is still out there -- she's been there now for almost a week, but she hasn't changed much.
Artist's depiction of the
Pioneer 10 robotic space probe.
It was another nice sunny day, so I tried to tan my hide for two or three hours. I finished reading Orn, and yesterday I finished the Amazing S.F. mag. Chunk came over, but he paddled by himself -- I've been out today already. I should get started on another story soon. Yep, I sure should. Real soon. Uh huh. I wrote a letter to Sue -- I mean, Soozwol -- and I'll mail it tomorrow.
At the suggestion of astronomer Carl Sagan,
Pioneers 10 & 11 carry gold-anodized aluminum plaques
in case either spacecraft is found by intelligent life-forms.
"Yoo-hoo, we're over here! Come invade us."

No comments: