Monday, March 25, 2013

Mar 25 - Writing career strategies

Saturday, March 25, 1972 - Page 85
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

10:47:28 PM
Gottup at about 1:30. For the past few days I've been checking the "Writer's Market '72" and the markets available are slightly encouraging. Of all of them, there must be one that's hard up enough to take my stuff -- I'll write for him until I can do better. Then there's fantasy, animal fiction, kid & teen magazine s.f. and science articles, and poetry (which I can steal from Shawna & Matt). I've just gotta start sending garbage out, and keep looking till I hit a desperate editor. I can also sell artwork if anybody needs it. Men's mags should be an easy market -- they just want action & sex. Eventually I should be able to earn a couple hundred $'s so I can take off -- hitch hike to Chicago and learn to write and live. The former won't come without the latter, and that doesn't matter without the former. (Nicely put).

Went to Dad's today to get mail and a typewriter (I'll start filing my markets in a little tin box & note cards I bought yesterday). Analog answered (in less than 3 weeks!) as expected -- one down, several hundred to go.


Mom & I went to see "Silent Running" (Equal if not superior to "2001"), and "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (typical). Proceeding to type the market cards -- later I'll get to typing unpublished poetry and mail 'em B4 next week. 11:00:26 P.M. FINI --

No comments: