Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sep 26 - Edwin Colbert's DINOSAURS

Tuesday, September 26, 1972 - Page 270
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California
DINOSAURS by Edwin H. Colbert (1961 Illustrated 1st Edition)
I loved this rare book & I wish I still had it. The photo is from an old eBay listing which had a pretty good description of it...
This heavily-used book is a discarded title from the Ashtabula Public Library in Ohio, and it's a very comprehensive and informative collection of the history of dinosaurs and humanity's rapidly evolving knowledge of the prehistoric rulers of our planet. Along with informative diagrams and compilations of information to complement the text, there are also photographic images dispersed throughout the book with crisp black-and-white detail, showing artist's depictions of dinosaurs, actual dinosaur bones, fossils, maps, and other visual aides and media that act as a treasure trove of information for the paleontologically-inclined. Though the book has clearly lived a full life, with significant damage to the cover, the book still holds together and the pages within are in very good condition for their age.

7:30 PM
Woke up at 5:30 A.M. but wasn't really conscious until 9:00 A.M. Grandma Dot came over around then with oranges, magazines, a blanket & a jacket. It was a sunny day but I didn't bother to go out -- I was out for 3 hours yesterday and it didn't do any good. I wrote 4 1/2 more pages of notes, nearing the end of "Dinosaurs" by Edwin H. Colbert, my most comprehensive source. I'll be able to get down to real writing after I read some of "The Fossil Book."
The famed paleontologist & author, Edwin H. Colbert,
died in November 2001 at age 96 (wikipedia info)
I went out for the mail, and on the way the woman in the trailer to the right of the one directly opposite us called to me out her window, so I went into her place. It was beautifully decorated in wild mod decor & posters. She explained she'd just had an operation and wasn't too sharp at walking, so she gave me a couple of letters to mail & 16¢ for the stamps. So when I got my mail I bought the stamps and mailed her letters. My good deed for the fortnight.

10:00 PM
I spent most of the day reading & eating -- I ate two T.V. dinners (meat loaf & Polynesian), a third of a water melon, an orange, a banana, and a pound of hamburger mixed with potatoes, sauce & ketchup. When there's food around I'll eat it, when there isn't, I don't miss it. I took a bath today, and about an hour afterward my ear was clogged. I popped it, but it clogged seconds later, consistently. I used six Q-tips on it but it still got clogged. When I rub it, it clears up, but goes deaf again seconds later. We'll see what develops.

I watched "Police Doctor" cause W. Shatner was in it, and then saw "Temperature Rising" & "The Moon of the Wolf." They were all lousy. Weren't worth interrupting this entry. I'm very tired. Good night.

TOMORROW: Nothing much...

No comments: