Monday, September 9, 2013

Sep 09 - The Aquatic Ape Theory

Saturday, September 9, 1972 - Page 253
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

3:25 AM
Got up at about 1:30 (officially) when Dad came over (he came around about noon) and Lara & Mike popped in (about 1:00). Dad's doing a lot of leather work now as a hobby. L&M are getting more involved with managing [at the Ivanhoe Motel near Disneyland]. They all left shortly after I got up. I can't recall doing very much today.

I read a condensed version of "The Descent of Woman," which is about the aquatic theory of evolution. [Written by Elaine Morgan (wikipedia info), this book influented my graphic novel, Tempus Fugitives (info), in which I incorporated a segment featuring prehistoric seaside females. One compelling bit of evidence supporting the "aquatic ape hypothesis" is the pattern of hair on the entire human form -- it clearly demonstrates the flow of water over a swimming body, thus indicating a long period of evolution that occurred in marine environments.]

A new "Psych. Today" mag came today (nobody recalls subscribing to it, but it's in Mom's name). Anyway, there was an article in it called "Louis S. B. Leakey & Robert Ardrey in dialogue on Man, The Killer." I just finished reading that.

Chunk called today around 5:00, then he and Murray came by to pick me up. We drove to Bob Kirkebey's to get a fourth to play chess, but he wasn't home. Then we drove to Bill Somebody's -- a friend of Murray's & Chunk's and a fellow I very vaguely recall from Schwinn. He used to work there before I did. He's living in an apartment with Diane, a girl who looks alot like Kim Darby, an actress. Anyway, we stayed at their apartment awhile, then we all drove to Chunk's in Murray's car. We stopped at Tim's house on the way so I could get a second chess set -- Tim, as I already knew, was at Disneyland, so I had to get Mrs. assistance in unlocking his door and stealing his set.

On the way to Chunk's, we stopped at a red light -- the one at Newport Freeway, I think. There were two cars in front of us. The first car had a guy in it who came out to talk with a girl in the second car, then he got back in his car. This seemed odd, so Chunk did the same thing -- he got out of Murray's car to talk at her. By this time the red light was used up, so we locked the doors and took off before Chunk could get back in. Back at the apartments Chunk caught up [Chuck was an experienced long-distance runner], bought some wine, and we played chess. I played a couple games with Diane, winning one, losing the other. Chunk played Bill a couple, beating him in both. I played Bill & stalemated. He, her & Murray left about 12:00. Chunk & I played hockey -- I won, 50 to 42. Rah. I left, running home. So I got my exercise. About a half hour after I got home, I met Taco [my cat] and we walked to the dock.

TOMORROW: Chuck teaches me to ride a dirt bike

No comments: