Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 29 - The moon disappears**

Monday, May 29, 1972 - Page 150
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

MAMMORIAL DAE (You remember her, don'tcha?)

5:17:38 AM
The moon just disappeared. Either I'm badly mistaken, or this is a(n) historical moment in natural or unnatural history. At about 12 after five I looked out the window and saw the full moon, gold of hue, in what appeared to be a clear, rich deep blue sky, pre-morning type.
Now you see it...
A few minutes later I looked out there again, and the moon wasn't there. It couldn't set that far in just a few minutes, and there isn't any trace of it at all. Wait a second, I'm going to look again... nope, it's still not there. How about that.
...now you don't
I'm listening to "Lum and Abner" now, and I just finished the final first draft of a letter to Soozwol, a monumental effort in letter-writing. It took me 4 and a half hours. Now I'm going to go to sleep. Good night/morning. 5:24:02 A.M.

10:10:10 PM
I still haven't seen the moon yet. I haven't heard any mention of its disappearance on the Gradio, but it certainly would be news. Where would the next Apollo flight go? -- I finished the final copy of Soozy's letter, and I guess I'll mail it in a couple of days.

Grandma Dot came over, and she said she'd pay for an airline ticket to fly me to South Dakota, so, I guess I'll be leaving in a couple of weeks. I heard Tom isn't there any more -- he left. It was another record breaker today ~ 97° in L.A. The highest on record of this date was for 1881 when it got up to 79°. I tanned my hide alot, and read "Theother."

Lara & Mike dropped by, and Mike and I moved that cabinet out back like Mom wanted, and I rearranged the boats back there (there's only the blue downriver boat & "Patch" now, Chunk has the "Mongoose," and Glenn took away his kayak last Monday). Mom & I continued to get this place cleaned up. We also played some more chess, after a big dinner. She won two games, I won three. I'm now on page sixty nine in "Thother," and I'm on page 110 in "Man's rise to civilization as shown by the indians of north america from primeval times to the coming of the industrial sta[end of page]

No comments: